Looking for a satisfying casserole that’s gluten-free? Bookmark this gluten-free chicken casserole recipe with broccoli and cauliflower.
Everyone knows I love to entertain. And although most wouldn’t recommend doing this, I love trying new recipes out on my guests. Usually, it turns out well. But, just in case, I’ve got the pizza delivery app on my phone. I don’t often have to use it. And I didn’t when I made my new go-to Gluten-Free Chicken Casserole recipe.
I don’t cook exclusively gluten-free. In fact, if I’m to be honest, when I hear people say they are on a strict gluten-free diet it makes me nervous.
How do you live without bread? Cereal? Crackers? I love meat and veggies with the rest of ’em, but momma loves her sides!
Well, when I was challenged to come up with a gluten-free recipe for a recent event I was hosting, I decided I was going to going to put a new face on gluten-free. I wanted a one-dish meal that I could make ahead of time.
I hate spending time in the kitchen during parties! But casseroles seem to be the hardest thing to do gluten-free. I decided I wanted to make a Chicken Broccoli Casserole, and when I discovered Breton Gluten-Free crackers, I knew just how to pull off a gluten-free version of this classic comfort dish. And with Breton Gluten-Free crackers, made with arrowroot and green lentil flours, I’d still have my crunchy crust, sans gluten.
Although there are several ingredients that come into play, the casserole is super-simple to assemble once you prep the ingredients!
First, add the jasmine rice to your dish. You’re gonna want to stick with a white rice for this casserole to maintain the liquid-rice ratio. I know, you brown rice folks are irritated. Get over it. 🙂
Next, pour in your bacon-wine mixture.
Your third layer is full of pretty broccoli and cauliflower, with the par-cooked chicken.
And finally, once your crackers are crumbled (I picked the Breton Gluten-Free Herb and Garlic variety for this recipe, but the Original with Flax would be fab, too)…
Top off your casserole with your cracker and cheese mixture.
Bake and serve!
Let me know what you think if you give this recipe a go! I hope you like it as my family and guests did!
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut to 1 inch chunks
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. bacon, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/3 cups Jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1 sleeve, Breton Gluten-Free Herb and Garlic crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower in microwave until just tender. I use the fresh bagged variety, and cook it one minute less than usual. Immediately remove and rinse in cool water and drain.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and set aside bacon. Cook chicken on each side until just brown, about 2 minutes (chicken may not be cooked, but it will in the oven). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in onion and cook until translucent. Add Marsala wine and scrape up darkened bit from the bottom of the pan.. Reduce to 2 tablespoons, then stir in broth. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, cream, parmesan, seasoning, salt and pepper, and bacon.
- Add uncooked rice to greased baking dish. Bacon mixture on top. Add chicken, broccoli, and cauliflower next.
- Crush crackers with a rolling pin in a ziploc bag. Mix crackers with melted butter and cheddar cheese. Sprinkle casserole with cracker mixture and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Broil for a few minutes at the end if you like a golden top!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.1 Yum