Abruzzese Meatball Appetizer Platter
Yield 6-8 servings
Our Abruzzese Meatball Appetizer Platter is both convenient and satisfying! With homemade marinated mozzarella, your favorite marinara and Carando meatballs, this dish will be the biggest hit of any holiday party!
1 package Carando Abruzzese Meatballs
24 ounce jar of marinara
12 ounce container of mozzarella pearls*
3-4 fresh Italian sub rolls, cut into 1" chunks
Garnish: chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese
For the marinated cheese:
1 cup olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp each: basil, parsley, salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
- At least a day before you plan to serve the meatball appetizer platter, prepare then marinated mozzarella. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup olive oil, minced garlic, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Whisk until combined. Add drained mozzarella pearls (or chunked fresh mozzarella) to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cook for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the meatballs. Continue cooking, another 5-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the marinara sauce according to package directions. Pour into a medium serving bowl and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Place a colander over a collection bowl and pour out the marinated cheese. Add the cheese to a serving bowl. Cube the bread into bite sized pieces and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Toss the bread with a few tablespoons of the collected herb-oil from the cheese.
- When the meatballs are cooked through, preheat your oven broiler on low. Place the bread in the middle of the oven, allowing it to toast. Keep a watchful eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the oven and add the meatballs and toasted bread to the platter along with the cheese and marinara sauce. Serve with cocktail toothpicks or fondue skewers and enjoy!
If mozzarella pearls are unavailable, simply cut up fresh mozzarella into 1" cubes.
Recipe by Forks and Folly at http://forksandfolly.com/2018/12/abruzzese-meatball-appetizer-platter/