It’s nice when you can feed one meal to your whole family. Gone (or mostly gone) are the days that I play short-order cook. No more “kid-food” for the toddler, veggie food for the hubs, and “normal” food for me. Nope, not gonna do it. Instead, I’ve tried to find a balance of healthy, easy, and veggie-loaded recipes that we all can eat, and we also incorporate a little bit of humanely raised proteins now and then too. After all, ground beef (and orange juice!) has been one of my biggest pregnancy cravings, and what momma wants, momma gets. Especially, when pregnant. Especially, when she’s doing the cooking.
Since last night’s meal went over so well with the whole fam, I thought I’d pass on the recipe to you. Hopefully your toddler will appreciate the “steak” meatballs (all beef is called steak by my toddler), and the adults in your family will appreciate that the meat is humanely raised and pretty darn tasty.
Recipe: Sesame-Soy Meatballs, from Cooking Light Magazine:
Serve these garlicky, spicy meatballs with steamed sugar snap peas and two cups cooked rice tossed with 1 tablespoon chile paste (if you like it spicy) or ginger.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 meatballs)
- 1/3 cup minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chile paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 pound ground sirloin – we buy the grass-fed organic ground beef now available at the Teeter!
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add beef; mix gently to combine. With moist hands, shape beef mixture into 20 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.
3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the meatballs to pan; cook 4 minutes, turning to brown meatballs on all sides. Arrange browned meatballs in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining meatballs. Bake meatballs at 400° for 7 minutes or until done.
- 11.3g (sat 2.7g,mono 4.8g,poly 3g)