Get in on the newest health craze in a delicious way with this Lemon & Turmeric Veggie Soup with Quinoa. Boasting tons of spring veggies, fresh lemon and grated turmeric, this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Yum.
Turmeric. It’s freaking every. where. It’s all over my Pinterest boards, it’s in my nutrition aisle at the grocery store, and it’s at the smoothie shop. What is up with turmeric?
I mean, the powder stuff has always seemed a little bit overrated. Sure it provides a powerful dose of fluorescent yellow to whatever you’re cooking, but it’s not really ever had a lot of flavor. Perhaps it’s because the one I’ve been using is a few years old? #mybad
Then, I tried the fresh variety. It looks a lot like ginger root. Except for when peeled, it’s bright orange. The mild fragrance is slightly reminiscent of Indian food.
I’ve been toying around with a soup recipe for the last few months, but felt like it was still missing “something.” When I peeled fresh turmeric for the first time I realized it would be perfect.
Allow me to introduce you to my new favorite springtime vegetable soup: Lemon & Turmeric Veggie Soup. If you’re not into the gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan thing, you can also add in cooked chicken or shrimp. Or even some pasta instead of the quinoa. Totally up to you!
To make Lemon & Turmeric Veggie Soup, first cook up some quinoa, I like the tri-color variety, and set aside.
After prepping the veggies, sauté cleaned leeks and carrots in butter (optional) and oil. Once softened, add in turmeric and garlic. Cook for another minute, then add in chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Add zucchini, squash, and peas and stir. Cook until veggies are heated through. Remove from heat add in lemon zest, juice and tarragon. Serve in bowls on top of quinoa.
- 2 tb. butter (optional)*
- 1 tb olive oil
- 1 leek, quartered and cleaned (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tb. (fresh) turmeric, grated
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock if you aren't vegetarian)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tb. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 cup dry quinoa, cooked
- First cook the quinoa, according to package directions, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté cleaned leeks and carrots in butter and oil over medium heat.
- Once softened, add in turmeric and garlic. Cook for another minute, then add in chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add zucchini, squash, and peas and stir. Cook until veggies are heated through.
- Remove from heat add in lemon zest, juice and tarragon. Serve in bowls on top of quinoa.
* If vegan, substitute the butter for an additional two tablespoons of olive oil or whatever fat you prefer.