This post and Turkey Gravy without Drippings recipe was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
You can make turkey gravy without drippings. And guess what? It’s amazing. Stress less this Thanksgiving with this easy turkey gravy recipe.
If you’re doing a smaller Thanksgiving this year, as many of us are, you might not be doing a whole turkey. Which means, you won’t be collecting the drippings to make a from-scratch turkey gravy. Don’t fret. You can still make an awesome Classic Turkey Gravy without drippings.
Better Than Bouillon has a wide variety of bases that can be used to take your meals to the next level this holiday season. And, in this recipe, I’ve used the Better Than Bouillon Turkey Base as a substitute for turkey drippings that I won’t be getting because I’m grilling my turkey this year.
Tips for making Classic Turkey Gravy Without Drippings
There are a few basic tips for making this turkey gravy, and really any kind of sauce that you’re cooking up. First, make sure that you start off by cooking your onions in the melted butter at a medium heat. You don’t want to burn the onions, and most-especially don’t want to burn the garlic. Burnt garlic means you need start over.
Use fresh herbs! You can mix and match your favorite hearty herbs. I like a mix of rosemary and oregano, but thyme and sage would be great too. Skip on the basil and parsley for this one. They won’t hold up as well.
Add the Better Than Bouillon Turkey Base before you mix in the water. You want to mix the paste into the herbs and onions until nice and fragrant before adding the water. Finally, once it’s come to a simmer and thickened, feel free to add a touch more water if it’s too thick for your liking.
Click here to find other recipe inspirations using Better Than Bouillon to enhance your holiday meal.
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Better than Bouillon Turkey Base
- 2 cups water
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about five minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute or so.
- Add chopped herbs, flour, and the Better than Bouillon Turkey Base and stir well until the bouillon and flour is well incorporated.
- Pour in the water slowly, while whisking. Continue to whisk until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for five minutes, or until the mixture is thickened. If too thick, loosen with a little warm water.