Today I have been quite the domestic diva. I blame you, dear reader. Not knowing what to write today, I’ve procrastinated putting together today’s blog entry by dallying in the kitchen. And scrapbooking. I’m now through March of ’09. There’s a light at the end of this god-forsaken tunnel.
And now, it’s 7:45 pm, I still haven’t made dinner, and I’m writing my blog. And that’s OK. Because this afternoon, I made blueberry muffins. And they rock. So breakfast for dinner it is. My toddler, my husband, and you will thank me. Here’s the recipe; feel free to switch up the blueberries for any other seasonal (or frozen) fruit. Delish.
Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Crumb Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners or spray 2 muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour with the brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the melted butter, then pinch the mixture until it forms pea-size clumps.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and canola oil and beat with a handheld electric mixer at low speed until combined. Beat in the whole milk and vanilla. Add the flour mixture all at once and beat at low speed until the batter is smooth. Stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into 18 of the cups, filling them about three-quarters full. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of each one and bake for about 30 minutes or until the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the blueberry muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.