Hello there! I’m Whitney from Beauty in the Mess. While Katie is away enjoying all those newborn snuggles, I am excited to be with you today sharing one of the reasons I love living in Charlotte. The parks!
One of the things that I have grown to love about this city is the many parks. There are over 200 parks in Mecklenburg County alone!
I’ll admit that when my daughter was young, I hated parks. I was pregnant. She was a runner and a mulch eater. It was much easier to just stay at home and play in the backyard. But now with 4 children, we need more space. Parks are perfect because they have plenty of room to run around, they get their daily dose of vitamin D, they get to meet new friends, and I usually get a nap out of them in the afternoon. It’s a win-win for everyone!
With so many parks, it would be easy to just stick close to the ones in your area. But then you might miss out on some of the hidden treasures around Charlotte. Let me suggest some great parks that are worth the drive wherever you live.
5 Must Visit Parks in Charlotte, NC
1. Freedom Park. We love Freedom Park in Charlotte off of East Boulevard. The kids love the football training area and the sand pit. There are lots of swings so everyone gets a turn. While taking a water break and eating a little snack, we enjoy watching the soccer games taking place. Then we head back over to run through the football training course again.
Once they get their energy out, I pull out the stroller and we take a walk around the lake. The last time we were there we enjoyed the Summer Concert Series. My kids loved walking around the lake and watching the ducks. It was a great way for me to get exercise and the kids enjoyed the walk.
2. Village Park. Our first experience at Village Park in Kannapolis was at a birthday party. It was great! We played on the playground. After resting at the picnic area for snacks and water break, the kids loved playing in the Splash Pad. We finished off our time at Village Park by riding the train. Everything is pretty close together, making it great for small children. The Splash Pad is fenced in and the children get wristbands, which means they are less likely to escape. My kids ask to visit Village Park all the time.
3. Jetton Park. After living in the area for 4 years, we first went to Jetton Park for a photo session. Not to play. Not to take advantage of the scenic views. Nope. For a photo session. Our second time at Jetton? For another photo session. Ha! It really is a great park for pictures. But it is so much more!
There are so many places to explore. My kids loved the little playground. We explored the little beach area by the lake, but you can’t get in the water. There is a formal garden, tennis courts, and lots of trails to walk, run, or bike ride on. It is such a great park for the whole family.
4. Dan Nicholas Park. If you are looking for a full day trip, consider Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury. Even if you’re just looking for a fun morning out, Dan Nicholas is a great place to visit. They have so many activities for all ages. You can play on the playground, ride the carousel, play miniature golf, eat a picnic lunch, cool off in the splash pad, ride the train, and still have so much more you could do! One day, I will do the paddle boats. It just hasn’t been feasible the last couple of times with little kids.
5. Belle Johnston Park. For those of you in the Pineville area, you probably already know about Belle Johnston Park. It is beautiful. The playground overlooks the lake. They have a nice amphitheater for concerts. I love the swing facing the lake. So peaceful.
Which is Your Favorite?
Have you been to any of the parks I mentioned? What is your favorite park in the area? How often do you visit parks? With so many in the area, it’s a great way to spend time together as a family. Enjoy the sunshine and get outside!
Whitney is a mom of four who loves to travel and explore new places. Check out her reviews, tips on using essential oils, and thoughts on motherhood at http://beautyinthemess.com. You can also follow her on Facebook and Pinterest.0 Yum