Today, my husband and I celebrate our seven year anniversary. To me, it’s a big one. Someone once told me, if you make it past seven years, you’ll make it. Whether that person had any street cred, I couldn’t tell you. Because, in all actuality I can’t remember who told me that. But, what they said stuck with me. If you make it to seven years… You’ll make it.
Well, Jon and I have had ups and downs. Every relationship does. But, I think we’ll make it. (Are you taking your sigh of relief, hun?) And, if he keeps doing these seven things, I think we might even stay happy.
In no particular order, I LOVE it, when my husband:
1. Brings me coffee in bed. I know it’s the same as saying, “Darnit, get up already!!” But, it’s such a nicer way to do it. And, it really does wake me up. Eventually.
2. Says, “Have a great time,” as I head out the door on the way to a Girls Night Out. So much better than “When are you going to be back?” or “You owe me!”
3. Asks, “What can I do to help?” instead of “Dude, that sucks,” when I tell Jon how stressed out I am. Asking someone how they can help is the sweetest thing you can say to another when they are feeling overwhelmed.
4. Empties the dishwasher. This may sound trite, but one of the sexiest things a husband can do is unload a dishwasher. Without being asked.
5. Opens my car door for me. We’ve been getting in and out of cars with and without kids for years now, and I certainly don’t expect him to always be opening my door for me. I’m completely capable. But, it sure is sexy when he goes out of his way to let me in first. It’s a treat reserved for date nights now. So rarely.
6. Bakes a cake. Ok, so admittedly, Jonnie’s only done that once. It may never happen again, as I kind of under-appreciated it at the time, and he had a major clean-up effort after he put the batter in a pan way to small and it over-flowed in the oven. But the idea of my husband doing something completely out of his comfort zone out of love for me makes me swoon.
7. Makes my kids laugh. I love it when my kids laugh. I love it even more when it’s because of something my husband does. When my kids and my husband are laughing, it makes me laugh. And, it’s really hard to be upset with anyone when everyone’s laughing.