Quinoa is pure awesome! Think about, it is like a dream food: easy, healthy, protein filled, frugal, yummy and versatile! That is why our thrifty family has a good supply of quinoa on hand at all times. We prepare it many different ways, but one way is a family favorite, crowd favorite, potluck favorite, summer favorite, winter favorite…. you get the picture! 🙂
So now we get the privilege of sharing this favorite quinoa recipe with you!
Warm Quinoa Salad with Corn & Black Beans
- 2 Cups of Vegetable broth (you can also use chicken or beef)
- 3/4 cup of Quinoa
- 1 16oz. package of frozen or canned corn
- 1 can or package of frozen black beans (see our idea on packing and freezing your own beans for much less here)
- 1 TBSP of minced garlic, or about 6 minced cloves
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- A handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- A few dashes of olive or coconut oil
- A few dashes of Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 3-4 TBSP of Taco Seasoning (we use our homemade version here)
- In a stock/soup pot, sauté the garlic and onions in the oil.
- Once they are browned, add the broth, quinoa, Taco Seasoning and Cayenne Pepper
- Bring to a boil and then turn to low and cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the quinoa is soft and liquid is absorbed. You do need to stir frequently.
- Then add the corn, beans and cilantro and cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve warm
A few notes:
We like to serve it warm. It also stores well in the fridge for a couple of days and reheated in the microwave or stove top and still has a great taste and consistency! We love healthy meals that can also double as lunch the next day. This is also a great dish to take to potlucks or gatherings as it can sit out for a short time, while still maintaining consistency and taste. It is also very affordable. For great deals on quinoa, you can buy it in bulk online for a decent price. We also find the Kroger stores have their Simple Truth organic version for a nice price.
Alex and Cassie became known as The Thrifty Couple after spending themselves into over $100K of consumer debt, then paying it off quickly with their own debt-zapping, life-changing program they share on their site. Today they live with their 5 kids in the Rocky Mountain Northwest on much less than they did as just the two of them, but share how they feel they are living life fuller than ever! They enjoy sharing frugal living tips, financial tips, DIY ideas, recipes and family life ideas on their site at TheThriftyCouple.com. Follow them on Pinterest and Google+ to follow their daily lives and gain many more ideas.