This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ChooseMazola #CollectiveBias
This lightened skillet cornbread is a must-make recipe for this fall! Serve it with chili on game day or as a Thanksgiving side!
As the weather gets cooler, I’m craving some comfort food, y’all! And nothing quite says comfort food like a batch of skillet cornbread. With September being National Cholesterol Awareness month, I’ve decided to lighten up this classic. With just a few ingredient swaps – like ditching the lard for Mazola® Corn Oil, I’m putting my cast iron skillet to work this fall knowing that my whole family will be able to enjoy this Lightened Skillet Cornbread. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
So what’s the secret to this lightened skillet cornbread?
I made this recipe to be moist, fluffy, better-for-you, and with just the right amount of sweetness and a bit of extra flavor. First, we’re ditching the lard and using corn oil instead. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health.
The other benefit of using corn oil in your cooking? All cooking oils have a smoke point that, once exceeded, not only negatively affect the food’s flavor but also its nutritional value. Corn oil has a smoke point higher than most cooking oils at 450°F and performs well in a variety of cooking applications.
Next, I’ve replaced the sour cream for Greek yogurt. This is a swap I make all the time. With lower fat and added protein, it’s a big win for most dishes.
Finally, I’ve replaced the granulated sugar for honey! Not only is it a great flavor booster, but I love that I can get it at my farmer’s market.
This is so good, you’ll have everyone fighting over that last piece! Even better, it’s on the dinner table in just around 30 minutes!
Lightened Skillet Corn Bread
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a 9" cast iron skillet inside the oven to preheat while you make your batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the milk, Greek yogurt, honey, eggs, and all but 1 Tbsp. of the corn oil. Fold in the corn.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Add the last tablespoon of oil to the skillet to coat. Pour in the batter. Return it to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes - or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Add our Lightened Skillet Cornbread to your Side Dish Pinterest Board!
Leave a Reply