This Taco Tamale Pie recipe is sponsored by Pace® on behalf of SheSpeaks.
Taco tamale pie is the comfort food recipe you need to make for busy family weeknight dinners. The combo of meat, beans, veggies and cornbread means it’s a one dish meal, too.
Here’s the reality of our routine. Waking up early, rushed afternoons, and even busier bedtimes. Despite all that is hectic, my family has resolved to meet ’round the dinner table as much as possible. Not only to eat, but to enjoy time together and catch up on each other’s days.
Recipes like this Taco Tamale Pie make it easy (or at least easier) to make this resolution a regular habit. For starters I almost always have ground beef in the freezer, cornbread mix in the pantry, and a few bottles of Pace Chunky Salsa and Picante Sauce on hand.
How to make Taco Tamale Pie
First, get the cornbread going. Combine the milk, egg, and cheese and cornbread mix together in a bowl. Stir in a small can of chopped green chilies if you have them. It adds a subtle flavor, plus it’s an extra veggie that’s easy to hide if you have picky kids. You’ll bake this mixture in the oven just for a few minutes. It won’t be baked through when you move on to the next step.
While the cornbread is in the oven, you’ll prepare the taco toppings – first browning the meat, onions and peppers, and then stirring in the Pace Picante Sauce.
With smoothly blended tomatoes, chunks of savory onions and famously fresh, hand-picked jalapeños, you get more flavor than you would from a plain tomato sauce, but it’s smoother than using a salsa.
Add the meat mixture to the cornbread. Top with a favorite shredded cheddar and bake. After the pie is set and the bread is golden, do make sure to let the pie rest at least five minutes before slicing in. This will keep you slices tidy and keep the mixture from getting runny.
Now’s the time to top with Pace Chunky Salsa, and to garnish with sour cream or cilantro, if desired.
Shop for Taco Tamale Pie Ingredients
All of the ingredients, including Pace Chunky Salsa and Picante Sauce can be found for a low price at your local Walmart. Click here to shop for Pace Picante Sauce and here to shop for Pace Chunky Salsa at Walmart.com.
Pin Taco Tamale Pie to your Dinner Board!
- 1 8.5 oz. package of cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 4.5 ounce can of chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
- 1 cup Pace® Picante Sauce
- Optional: Pace® Chunky Salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- First, get the cornbread going. Combine the milk, egg, 1/2 cup of the cheese and cornbread mix together in a bowl. Stir in a small can of chopped green chiles if you have them. It adds a subtle flavor, plus it's an extra veggie that's easy to hide if you have picky kids.
- Pour the mixture into a greased pie plate and bake in the oven just for 6 minutes. It won't be baked through when you move on to the next step.
- While the cornbread is in the oven, you'll prepare the taco toppings. To a large skillet add the ground beef, onions and peppers. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Stirring in the Pace Picante Sauce and drained black beans. Top with the remaining cheese and bake an additional 15-18 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- After the pie is set and the bread is golden, do make sure to let the pie rest at least five minutes before slicing in. This will keep you slices tidy and keep the mixture from getting runny.
- Top with Pace Chunky Salsa and garnish with sour cream or cilantro, if desired.