Curried Couscous with Chickpeas and Broccoli has been one of my favorite meal-prep friendly lunches for years, but it could also be a side dish or vegetarian-friendly entree.
I think I first made this curried couscous recipe for a playdate about ten years ago. Despite the somewhat unique combination of ingredients, everyone loved it. Well, the adults did at least. 😉
Ten years ago, I needed a recipe I could make for a large group of friends. It needed to be easy to make (hello, I had a newborn at the time!), budget-friendly, and I wanted to be mindful that everyone in attendance was trying to lose baby-weight.
I still make it for similar reasons… it can be made ahead, I almost always have the ingredients on hand, and I’m still trying to lose baby weight. Feel free to adjust the dressing or veggie ingredients to what you like or have on hand. Swap out the couscous for another grain, if you have dietary restrictions or top it off with chicken or shrimp for some extra protein.
Curried Couscous with Chickpeas & Broccoli Shortcuts
Want to make this curried couscous recipe come together with almost NO prep work? Use fresh broccoli florets that you can steam in the bag. Skip the effort of peeling and chopping carrots, by using pre-shredded carrots. I also use bottled minced ginger instead of the fresh stuff. It’s easier to work with!
How to make Curried Couscous with Chickpeas & Broccoli
Bring the stock (or water if you don’t have any stock in your pantry) to a boil and then stir in the couscous. Remove the pan from the heat and cover. Let it stand for at least 5 minutes before fluffing. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli until just tender. Add it to a large bowl once cooked. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, curry powder, ginger, and salt.
When the couscous is ready, add the remaining ingredients to the large bowl and toss with the dressing to combine.
Serve at room temperature or chill until ready to enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cup veggie stock (or water)
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted cashew halves
- 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- Bring stock (or water) to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Allow it to stand for at least five minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Steam broccoli (for about three minutes) in the microwave, or until just bright green. Add to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, curry powder, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining salad ingredients, including the couscous, to the bowl with the broccoli. Pour the dressing on top and gently fold until combined.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to enjoy.
Save this Curried Couscous with Chickpeas & Broccoli recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!