This Lunchbox Pom Pom Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe and post was sponsored by King’s Hawaiian as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Send your kids off to school with our Lunchbox Pom Pom Chicken Salad Sandwich! Easy to make, but with that comfort food vibe, your kids will feel the love this back-to-school season.
When I got married (oh so many years ago), I wasn’t much of a cook. Cooking for one didn’t have much appeal. But after registering for every kitchen utensil under the sun (and getting most of them – thanks to friends and family), I finally had the spouse to cook for and the tools to do it with. I found inspiration and insight on the Food Network Channel, and fell in love with everything Ina Garten.
Almost 15 years later (!!!), I’m still using some of those recipes I learned my first year of marriage on a regular basis. They’ve just been adapted. Adapted for speed, picky kids, and for my crowd of six.
Pom Pom Chicken Salad Sandwich
One of my favorite all time Ina Garten recipes is this Curried Chicken Salad. With a fresh punch of curry and mild heat from chutney, it turns ordinary chicken salad into the perfect lunch time treat. The downside? My kids don’t like too much spice, I can’t put nuts in their lunch, and I don’t have time to roast chicken very often. So, I’ve adapted my recipe. Sure, it’s not Ina’s recipe. But, I think it’s quite good; my kids do too.
In my family, my Pom Pom Chicken Salad Sandwich is the new “it” lunchbox item. The prep time is minimal by using pulled rotisserie chicken dressed with mild curry (for kick) and citrus jam (for sweetness). Sandwiched between King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls, the sweet and savory vibe continues. Although, let’s be honest… my kids (and I) would be game to eat just about anything on King’s Hawaiian bread.
Make Lunch Exciting Again
With great recipes like our Pom Pom Chicken Salad Sandwich and King’s Hawaiian products, school lunches feel extra special. With a variety of products, King’s Hawaiian can be used for sweet and savory recipes – how will you use King’s Hawaiian products to make your child’s school lunch exciting this year?
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, meat pulled and carcass discarded
- 3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. chutney or citrus jam (I like orange or pineapple marmalade)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (mild) curry powder
- 1/2 cup medium-diced celery
- 2 Tbsp. chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 2 Tbsp. cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds
- Combine the mayonnaise, wine, chutney, curry powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth.
- Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well - you might not use it all! Add the celery, scallions, and raisins, and mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Add the pumpkin seeds and serve at room temperature.
Add our Lunchbox Pom Pom Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe to your Back to School Pinterest Board!