Does getting organized for moving sound daunting? Well, read on dear friends!
So, you sold your house. And you have a move date. Congratulations. I’m sorry. That’s awesome. Sucks to be you.
Yes, moving is bittersweet. No one knows that better than someone who has just been through the process. But now that the process has started for you, you have some big decisions to make.
First things first. Are you hiring movers? Take a look around your abode and imagine the process. For me, it took all of a nanosecond to figure this one out: Yes, I needed movers. Sure, it’s an expense, but a worthwhile one in the grand scheme of things. If you come to the same conclusion, consider selecting a mover with Unpakt.com. And, even if you don’t end up choosing one of their movers, going through the process of organizing your move on their online platform is worth it.
Let me walk you through the process:
1) Grab a clipboard and measuring tape and pick a room. Write down each piece of furniture you have to move, measuring some of the larger items (i.e. China Hutch, Treadmill, Sectionals, etc.). Jot down things like art, lamps, seriously…. anything that you have to move that wouldn’t fit in a normal square box. Then, jot down the number of boxes you think it’ll take to pack up that room, and consider how many large, medium and small boxes you think you’ll need. Then add 5-7 boxes to that total. Per room.
2) Go through each room of the home using this same process. Don’t forget hallways, bathrooms, closets the garage, the attic, sheds, your outdoor space, and everything else in between.
3) Pour yourself a cup of coffee and create an account with Unpakt.com. It’s time to manually enter each piece of item into the system. Fun? Nope, not at all. Necessary? Absolutely.
4) Once you’ve selected your moving destination and entered your inventory, Unpakt.com will spit out exact price quotes for movers that are available to help you with your move given the parameters you’ve entered into the system.
5) If you’re me, you pick the least expensive (thank you, Principle Movers), but go with what your
wallet gut tells you to do. Unpakt.com does vet all of their movers, so you can rest assured that only movers with great reviews and credentials are selected to book moves through the service.
Now that you know what you have to move and how much it’s going to cost, it’s time to start compiling supplies.
Yep, it’s time to start hoarding boxes. The first place I hit up was Facebook, and friends came through big time for me. Thanks mommas! Friends also recommended that you call places like Old Navy, the ABC store, and your local grocery store for boxes.
You can also go on Craigslist. Boxes are one of those commodities that are priceless when you have to move and literally trash as soon as your done moving. Go on Craigslist and people that have just moved have their boxes available under “free stuff.”
If your’e in a time crunch though, you can simply go to a storage facility or Lowe’s and buy whatever you need. Don’t forget to pick up tons of packing paper, bubble wrap and packing tape. I also bought the crazy-expensive specialty moving boxes for china and glassware, but then realized small boxes with plain ol’ packing paper works just fine.
Finally, load up on wine. Seriously, packing is tough. Make sure you have your de-stressing tools ready, and don’t miss our tips for making it as easy a process as possible!
Moving in Melbourne? Check out: http://www.manwithavan.com.au
*I was provided with product or services to review and will only be sharing those with the audience that I fully support. This post does have links for which I was compensated to include. All opinions are always my own! **